BRAND NAME: Addition Studios
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN IN BUSINESS: (between Page Thirty Three & Addition Studios) 7 Years
DESCRIBE ADDITION STUDIOS IN 3 WORDS: The Modern Utopia
1. WHAT WAS THE ORIGINAL INTENT BEHIND CREATING ADDITION STUDIOS?
We wanted to bring together all our loves under one cohesive roof. Our name change from Page Thirty Three to Addition Studio now encompasses all of these in its meaning. We create Designer Wellness themed products, which our plus sign logo, that also resembles a first aid sign, suits perfectly. Addition also refers to adding to a space, which encompasses the Furniture, lighting and object design that we do, while Studio refers to our core grounding as a studio practice that works not only on our own design but also for other clients and projects.
2. YOU STUDIED INDUSTRIAL DESIGN AND HAVE SINCE FORGED A PATH MERGING OBJECTS/ FURNITURE AND PRODUCTS? ITS REFRESHING TO SEE SUCH A HOLISTIC RESPONSE TO WHATEVER DRIVES YOU DESIGN WISE... CAN YOU ELABORATE ABOUT THIS PATH?
I come from a Fine Arts background, which offers a fairly unique frame of reference for object design. I often think sculpturally with an eye on function, rather than the other way around.
3. WITH BOTH PAGE THIRTY THREE AND ADDITION STUDIOS, YOU HAVE MADE THE PRODUCTS IN AUSTRALIA? IS THIS A CONSCIOUS CHOICE FROM AN ETHICAL POINT OF VIEW OR MORE ABOUT KEEPING MINIMUMS & TURNAROUND QUICK AND EASY?
We try to create as much as we can in Australia, not only to reduce mileage that each product travels, and therefore reduces its carbon footprint, but also in order to support the Australian manufacturing industry. I musty admit though, that this becomes harder and harder every year, and as time passes we are forced to create more and more parts overseas. This is quite sad and frustrating, but when you have your products appropriated by large corporations for a tenth of the price, it makes it difficult to compete.
4. WHAT IS YOUR VIEW ON THE INCREASE OF MINDFULNESS AND PRODUCTS AROUND RITUAL WELLNESS?
I think it is fantastic. The more mainstream that mindfulness mentality becomes then the more enlightened our society will become. I think this is a great thing.
5. WHAT ARE YOUR OWN PERSONAL RITUALS THAT HELP KEEP YOU FOCUSED AND SANE IN THE SMALL BUSINESS WORLD THAT CAN BE OVERWHELMING!?
I do Vedic Meditation (sometimes called Transcendental Meditation) twice daily, and have done for 7 years now. It is the best way to burn off mind confusion and anxiety. It helps me think clearly and concisely. Apart from that the main thing I do is wake at sunrise and go to work early. I like to have a few hours of quiet and calm in the morning to get through work. The upside of this is that I can then leave early, which I love. That way I can live out the afternoon removed from work commitments.
6. YOU HAVE RECENTLY SHOWN THE RANGE IN EUROPE. WHAT WAS THEIR REACTION? IS YOUR HOPE TO MAKE ADDITION STUDIOS A GLOBAL BRAND?
Since our inception in 2010 we have always had a better response internationally than in Australia, especially when it comes to media interest, so it has been cool to actually go and be face to face with our customer. America and England have been great for us, however this year going to Northern Europe was really interesting as the Wellness industry is just a starting to emerge there, so it was very fresh for that market.
7. SUCH A BIG PART OF THE APPEAL OF ADDITION STUDIOS IS THE PACKAGING AND BRANDING. HOW IMPORTANT IS THAT TO YOU AND YOUR DESIGN PROCESS?
Packaging is everything. Most of my day is devoted to pulling all the components together in a precise and cohesive manner. I am OCD, so I love it. It really scratches an itch.
8. WE LOVE THE NEW AUSTRALIAN NATIVES RANGE. THEIR IS A REAL SENSE OF EMBRACING AUSTRALIAN NATURAL ESSENCES AND TAPPING INTO THAT WHICH MAKES US AS A COUNTRY UNIQUE. WHAT INSPIRED THIS PART OF YOUR NEW RANGE?
We have such unique colours and ingredients in Australia, so I think its great to explore these flavours. Its easy to forget that we are really exotic to people in other countries. The things we see everyday become so normal to us. It has been fun to play with everyday Australian flavours but also explore and mix really unique and unknown elements. It has also been a fantastic learning experience reading about all the different uses that indigenous cultures had for so many of the plants.
9. YOUR INSTAGRAM IS SO BEAUTIFULLY CURATED... ITS A REAL INSIGHT INTO YOUR DESIGNER MIND AND WHAT INSPIRES AND CALMS YOU. DO YOU FIND THAT THIS FORM OF COMMUNICATION BETWEEN YOURSELF AND CUSTOMERS / RETAILERS LIKE US HELPS CREATE A RELATIONSHIP AND HOW IMPORTANT HAS INSTAGRAM BEEN AS A TOOL TO GROW YOUR BRAND?
I think it is really important because it’s a direct link to the people who are interested in your story. Apart from that its really fun. I love storyboarding brand images, inspiration and lifestyle into a single story, I find it really helps to resolve your own equations on what your brand means.
10. WHAT'S IN THE PIPELINE FOR ADDITION STUDIOS IN THE SHORT TERM?
Next up we begin work on our new concept store we purchased recently. Once thats open we will start to work on our new furniture collection which we aim to launch in New York next year.